GIS Military – ArcGIS for Defense
Geographic Information System (GIS) play a vital role in Military operations.
GIS is an increasingly important technology to the military. Spatial information has always been important to military commanders; an understanding of terrain.
The use of GIS applications in military forces has revolutionized the way in which these forces operate and function.
Table of Contents
GIS in Military Operations:
- Defence Management
- Air Operations
- Naval Operations
- Terrain Evaluation
- Weather Information
- Positional Information
- Mapping Techniques
Defense for ArcGIS
ArcGIS for Defense helps all types of operators and decision-makers can;
- Aggregate and integrate many types of data.
- Model, analyze, and visualize all aspects of the operational environment.
- Deliver user-driven applications that harmonize efforts across domains, functions, and echelons.
- Enable situational understanding and collaboration across the enterprise.
The Defense toolbox has four toolsets. Each toolset performs specific GIS analysis.
|Conversion||The Conversion toolset contains tools that are used to convert tabular data to features and to convert between coordinate notation formats. These tools create, point lines, ellipses, lines of bearing, points, polygons, and polylines that can be stored in a feature class.|
|Distance and Direction||The Distance and Direction toolset contains tools that are used to determine a range from a given point or set of points. These tools create a set of concentric circles around a point or create a fan to represent ranges.|
|Gridded Reference Graphic||The Gridded Reference Graphic toolset contains tools for creating local area reference grids and numbering features. These tools create a polygon feature class representing a grid based on a defined size or a world reference system grid.|
|Visibility||The Visibility toolset contains tools that are used to determine line of sight between objects. These tools create outputs to represent linear line of sight or radial line of sight.|
ArcGIS Defense Mapping
ArcGIS Defense Mapping includes, specialized capabilities to automate the production processes from beginning to end through standardization, repeatability, and configuration.
Defense Mapping provides the Geodatabase models, typologies, business rules, cartographic rules.
This extension helps you data collection and attribution, Geo-database maintenance, data validation, and production of standardized defense data and cartographic products.
How does Defense Mapping work?
- Manage—Capture and manage defense business rules and domain knowledge in repeatable workflows.
- Produce—Efficiently create, maintain, and review authoritative defense content with tools and workflows that support the entire production process.
- Validate—Validate data to ensure its accuracy, completeness, and consistency.
- Share—Share authoritative defense data and products across ArcGIS.
Benefits of Defense Mapping
- Data maintenance
- Production management
- Cartographic production
- Automated generalization
- Consistent workflows