IRNSS – Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System
IRNSS stand for Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System, it’s developed by India. IRNSS designed for accurate position information for India service. It is provide 2 types of services, i)Standard Positioning Service (SPS), ii)Restricted Service (RS).
- Standard Positioning Service– provided to all the users.
- Restricted Service– provided only to the authorised users.
The Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System constellation made up of a combination of Geostationary Earth Orbit (GEO) and Geo-synchronous Orbit (GSO) spacecraft over the Indian region. The IRNSS constellation will consist of 7 Satellites – 3 in GEO orbit, at 34º E, 83º E and 131.5º E, and 4 in GSO orbit inclined at 29 degrees to the equatorial plane with their longitude crossings at 55º E and 111.5º E.
- 7 satellite constellation and ground segment
- Coverage area is about 1500 km beyond Indian territory
- Estimated horizontal position accuracy of 20m in over India and adjoining areas
- Mapping and Geodetic data capture
- Aerial and Marine Navigation
- Integration with mobile phones
- Terrestrial Navigation
- Disaster Management
- Precise Timing
India Navigation Satellite System Segments
3 Segments of Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System
- The first Satellite launched on 1st July 2013
- The full constellation will be realized by the end of 2015
- Consists of 7 Satellites, 3 in Geo-Stationary orbit at 32.5°, 83°and 131.5°East
- 4 Satellites in GEO Synchronous orbit at inclination of 29° with Longitude crossing at 55°and 111.75°East
- IRNSS Satellites are to be launched by the Indian launcher PSLV
Ground segment includes the major systems for controlling the satellite constellation and will consist-
- Spacecraft Control Facility (SCF)
- IRNSS Navigation Center (INC)
- Range and integrity monitoring stations (IRIMS)
- CDMA Ranging Stations (IRCDR)
- Network Timing Facility (IRNWT)
- Data Communication Network (IRDCN)
The user segment consists of Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System receivers operating-
- Single Frequency ( L5 or S band)
- Dual Frequency (L5 and S band)