ArcGIS Catalog is used for managing the spatial data holdings and database designs, and for recording and viewing Metadata.
Table of Contents
What is ArcCatalog?
- Folder Connections
- Raster files
- Geoprocessing toolboxes, models, and Python scripts
- GIS services published using ArcGIS Server
- Database Servers and Connections, And much more.
Overview of ArcCatalog
The Catalog Tree panel on the left side in your ArcCatalog application. It’s shows you a tree view of your GIS contents.
The Catalog tree allow to connect and manage toolboxes, workspace, and their contents:
- Folder Connections—Connections to file folders containing datasets and ArcGIS documents.
- Toolboxes—Geoprocessing tools and scripts used in ArcGIS.
- Database Servers—SQL Server Express instances configured to store desktop or work-group geodatabases.
- Database Connections—Connections to databases and enterprise geodatabases.
- GIS Servers—Connections to ArcGIS Server and OGC server sites.
- My Hosted Services—When you connect to and sign in to a portal, you can access the web layers and web maps you own or that have been shared with you.
- Ready-To-Use_Services—When you connect to ArcGIS Online, you can access a set of publicly available, worldwide services.
Search in ArcCatalog
ArcCatalog allows the Search window, for quickly and easily, to find tools and data. It is open by clicking the Search button on the Standard toolbar.
Open Catalog window in ArcMap
When the Catalog window is retracted, you’ll see a Catalog menu tab on the side of the application. Pausing on this tab will Open the Catalog window.
You can close the Catalog window by clicking in the upper right corner.
Catalog Window Menu
- Back —Go to the previous folder.
- Forward —Go to the next folder.
- Up One Level —Move up one level in the tree.
- Go To Home Folder —Navigate to the Home folder.
- Go To Default Geodatabase —Connect to the default geodatabase.
- Choose View Used In Contents Panel —Change the view used in the Contents panel. Options are large icons, list, details, and thumbnails.
- Connect To Folder —Connect to a folder location.
- Toggle Contents Panel —Toggle the display of the Contents panel.
- Options —Open the Catalog Options dialog box.