Table of Contents
What is Grid
A grid is a horizontal and vertical lines used to identify locations on a map. You can place a grid that divides a map into a specified number of rows and columns.
What is Graticules
The Graticules are lines represents parallels of latitude and meridians of longitude for the earth. It can be used to show location in geographic coordinates in degrees, minures, and seconds of latitude and longitude.
How to Add Grid and Graticules in ArcMap
ArcGIS has 3 ways in which you can add grids and graticules to your map:
- Grids and Graticules Wizard
- Custom overlay reference grids
- Grid and Graticule layers
In this tutorial discuses about ‘Grids and Graticules Wizard‘.
Grids and Graticules Wizard
ArcMap Grid and Graticules Wizard offers to 3 ways in which you can add grids and graticules to your map:
- Measured Grid
- Reference Grid
Adding a Graticules
- Click View on the Manu bar, and select Data Frame Properties.
- Click the Grids tab.
- Click the New Grid button.
- Click the Graticules option in Grids and Graticules Wizard.
- Type a name for the resulting grid.
- Follow the steps in the wizard and click Next as you complete each panel.
- Click Finish, to complete this wizard.
Adding a Measured Grid
A Measured Grid refer to divides map into a grid of map units.
Follow the Adding a Graticules process to Add Measured Grid in your map.
Adding a Reference Grid
A Reference Grid refer to divides map into a grid for indexing.
Follow the Adding a Graticules process to Add Reference Grid in your map.
ArcGIS Grid Overlay
You are Creating custom overlay grids in ArcGIS.
- Click Customize > Style Manager
- Click your personal style on the left side of the dialog box and navigate to the Reference Systems folder.
- On the right side of the dialog box, right-click, point to New, then click Custom Overlay.
- Specify the System variable by navigating to the folder containing the reference systems you want to use to render the custom overlay grids—this is the same folder you specified as the reference system path on the ArcMap Advanced Settings dialog box.
- Specify a value in Label field that will be used to label the axes of the custom overlay grid.
ArcGIS Pro Grid
How to Add Grid in ArcGIS Pro
- In an active layout view, select the map frame in the Contents pane.
- On the Insert tab, in the Map Frames group, click Grid .
- Select a grid from the gallery.
- Optionally, customize the grid by right-clicking it in the Contents pane and choosing Properties.
Repeat these steps to add other grids and graticules.